Monday, March 2, 2009

it's happening to you, too.

today i was alone in the house washing dishes and i realized that i was singing to myself- "that thing you do." i smiled because sara's voice- "you are just like your mom," ran through my head. she says that to me a lot. she's probably the person down here that knows my mom and me the best. as the thought went through my head that i am becoming my mother, my smile grew. i like my mom. she has her flaws, but she's really pretty great. she tells me not to stress about school, she's proud of everything i do, she puts anyone at ease. she carries grace in an amazing way. she has the best laugh in the whole world. she gives killer back rubs and scratches. she took raising us seriously, but not in a way that kept her from enjoying us and goofing off with us. she always laughs at my stupid stories. every time i babysit i think about her. i want to be a mom like her. she and my dad are a great team- ive never once had to worry about their marriage. they complement each other in every way. he's practical, she's daydreamy. hes good at math, shes good at english. she can sing, he can keep a beat. she does small things to let you know her love, he does big things. she's too trusting, he's too skeptical. they work. 

when i picture my mom, she's usually singing. she loves music. james taylor, paul simon, the beatles. squirrel nut zippers, steve tyrell, diana krall. "her" music. when we used to go to the grocery store she would sing as she pushed the cart down the aisle, bobbing her head and dancing around. she has no rhythm. it used to embarass me; now i do the exact same thing. (these are the times where i get the comment from sara) she loves birds. she used to pull out her "North American Bird Anthology" to look up the birds that landed on our porch all the time. she doesn't do that so much any more, but only because she knows all their names now. 

i often wish she was here. she would tell me to take a break from studying, i think. so i did. thanks mom :)

1 comment:

  1. i really enjoyed this one davis ann :)
    i love you and your sweet mommy, youre right shes pretty great and so are you

    ReplyDelete